Why Best choice For you
- The bike rack is designed with a ramp that facilitates effortless loading and unloading of bikes. Additionally, the rack’s low height ensures easier access for bike users.
- Diverse bikes, such as e-bikes, fat bikes, mountain bikes, or road bikes.
- It accommodates a wide range of wheel sizes and tire widths.
- Compatible with e-bikes, fat bikes, mountain bikes, road bikes, hybrid bikes, BMX bikes, kids bikes, and bikes with fenders.
- Fits a wide range of tire sizes and widths, up to 29×3.25″ and 27.5×4.5″ with an optional kit.
- Includes SKS locks to secure bikes to rack and rack to vehicle.
- Tilts forward for trunk access and has adjustable trays to avoid bike interference.
If you are looking for a hitch rack that can handle your heavy e-bikes, you might want to check out the Yakima OnRamp 2-Bike Hitch Rack. This rack is designed to make loading and unloading your e-bikes easy and convenient, thanks to its integrated ramp that lets you roll your bikes into place.
The rack can carry two bikes up to 66 lbs each, and it has adjustable frame attachments that can fit a wide range of bike styles and sizes. The rack also has a tilt mechanism that allows you to access your trunk with bikes loaded, and it comes with locks to secure your bikes and the rack to your vehicle.
In this review, we will take a closer look at the features, performance, and pros and cons of the Yakima OnRamp 2-Bike Hitch Rack, and help you decide if it is worth it for your e-bike transportation needs.
Yakima OnRamp Comparison with Other Racks
|Ease of use
|Yakima OnRamp 2-bike hitch rack1
|High: integrated ramp, adjustable trays, SKS locks, tilting function, tool-free installation and removal, integrated wheels
|Thule T2 Pro XT/XTR Hitch Bike Rack2
|High: easy to install and remove, integrated locks, tilting function, integrated wheels.
tool-free installation and adjustment process.
|Kuat Racks NV Base 2.03
|Medium: easy to install and remove, integrated locks, tilting function.
handles bike wheelbases up to 48 inches.
|Vibrelli Electric Bike Hitch Rack4
|Medium: easy to install and remove, ratcheting straps, anti-wobble hitch
|Westfalia BC 605
|Low: requires tools for installation and removal, no locks included, tilting function
Yakima Onramp 2-bike Hitch Rack Full Review
One of the most distinctive features of the Yakima OnRamp is the integrated ramp that makes loading and unloading your e-bikes a breeze.
The ramp attaches to the end of the rack and extends outwards, allowing you to roll your bike up or down the ramp with minimal effort. The ramp is stable and can be stored under the rack when not in use.
The ramp is also removable and can be used on either side of the rack, depending on your preference.
The ramp is especially useful for e-bike owners who may have trouble lifting their heavy bikes onto the rack. Amazon1, e-bikes can weigh anywhere from 38 lbs to 70 lbs, depending on the battery size and frame material.
Lifting such weights can be strenuous and risky for your back and joints, especially if you do it frequently or without proper technique.
The ramp eliminates this problem by allowing you to simply push or pull your bike onto the rack.
Another feature that makes the Yakima OnRamp stand out is the adjustable trays that hold your bike wheels in place.
The trays can accommodate tires up to 29 x 3.25 inches and up to 27.5 x 4.5 inches with the FatStrap Kit (sold separately). The trays can also slide side-to-side along the rack, giving you more flexibility and control over how you position your bikes.
This helps to minimize bike-to-bike interference and prevent damage to your bikes or vehicle.
The trays are easy to adjust with a simple lever mechanism. You can also lock them in place with a pin once you find the optimal position for your bikes.
The trays are compatible with a wide range of bike styles, including e-bikes, mountain bikes, road bikes, hybrid bikes, women’s specific bikes, BMX bikes, kids bikes, and bikes with fenders.
Security is another crucial aspect of any bike rack, especially if you are transporting expensive e-bikes. The Yakima OnRamp comes with integrated SKS (Same Key System) locks that secure your bike to the frame and the rack to the vehicle receiver.
The locks are easy to use and operate with a single key that fits both locks. The locks are also durable and weather-resistant, ensuring that your bikes and rack are protected from theft and tampering.
The SKS locks are part of Yakima’s locking system that allows you to use the same key for all your Yakima products. This means you don’t have to carry multiple keys or worry about losing them. You can also order additional keys or cores from Yakima if you need them.
The last feature we will discuss is the tilting function that allows you to access your trunk with the bikes loaded on the rack. The Yakima OnRamp has a lever at the base of the rack that lets you tilt it forward or backward with ease. This gives you more clearance and convenience when you need to open your trunk or hatchback for loading or unloading your gear.
The tilting function is especially handy if you have a large or heavy trunk lid that may not open fully with the rack in its upright position. It also saves you time and hassle from having to remove your bikes or rack every time you need to access your trunk.
Yakima Onramp Video- Full Review
Is the Yakima OnRamp 2-bike hitch rack worth it?
The Yakima bike rack hitch is a good option for e-bike owners and other cyclists who want a versatile and sturdy bike rack that can handle heavy bikes.
The ramp feature makes loading heavy bikes easier and safer, and the high weight capacity allows you to carry two e-bikes or other heavy bikes without exceeding the limit or damaging the rack.
The rack also has integrated locks that secure your bikes and rack, and a durable construction that can withstand harsh weather and road conditions.
However, the Yakima bike rack hitch is not perfect. It has some drawbacks that may affect your user experience and satisfaction.
The loading process is complex and cumbersome, the bike holding abilities are clumsy and unreliable, the tilt mechanism is hard to engage and disengage, and the rack is hefty and pricey.
Therefore, you have to weigh the pros and cons of this rack before you decide to buy it. If you value ease of loading, weight capacity, versatility, security, and durability more than simplicity, stability, convenience, and affordability, then you may find this rack worth it.
But if you prefer a more user-friendly, stable, convenient, and affordable rack, then you may want to look for other options.
What are the pros of the Yakima Onramp 2 bike rack?
The Yakima bike rack has several advantages that make it a good option for e-bike owners and other cyclists who want a versatile and sturdy bike rack. Some of the pros are:
- Easy loading: The ramp feature makes loading heavy bikes much easier and safer than lifting them. You can simply roll your bikes onto the tray without straining your back or risking dropping them. The ramp can also be used on either side of the vehicle, depending on your preference.
- High weight capacity: The Yakima bike rack can carry up to 132 lbs of total weight, which is higher than most other hitch racks on the market. This means you can carry two e-bikes or other heavy bikes without worrying about exceeding the limit or damaging the rack.
- Versatility: The Yakima bike rack can accommodate almost any kind of bike, regardless of the wheel size, tire width, frame shape, or suspension type. The adjustable frame attachments can be moved along the tray to fit different wheelbases and avoid bike-to-bike interference. The rack can also handle fat bikes up to 4.5″ wide with an optional FatStrap Kit (sold separately).
- Security: The Yakima bike rack hitch comes with integrated SKS locks that secure your bikes to the rack and the rack to your vehicle. The locks use the same key for convenience and are easy to operate. The locks also deter theft and vandalism of your bikes and rack.
- Durability: The Yakima bike rack is made of steel and aluminum, which makes it strong and durable. The rack also has a powder-coated finish that protects it from rust and corrosion. The ramp is made of plastic but is reinforced with metal for extra strength.
What are the cons of the Yakima OnRamp 2-bike hitch rack?
The Yakima Onramp bike rack is not without its flaws, however. Some of the cons are:
- Complex loading process: While the ramp feature makes loading heavy bikes easier, it also adds some complexity to the loading process.
- Clumsy bike holding abilities: The frame attachments that secure your bikes by the wheels and downtube are not very user-friendly or reliable.
- Hard-to-engage tilt mechanism: The tilt mechanism that allows you to access your trunk or hatch is not very easy to engage or disengage.
In conclusion, the Yakima OnRamp 2-bike hitch rack is a bike rack that can handle heavy e-bikes and other bikes with ease and security. It has a ramp feature that makes loading heavy bikes easier and safer, a high weight capacity that allows you to carry two e-bikes or other heavy bikes without exceeding the limit or damaging the rack, and integrated locks that secure your bikes and rack. It also has a versatile design that can accommodate almost any kind of bike and a durable construction that can withstand harsh weather and road conditions.
Are Yakima bike racks good?
Yes, Yakima bike racks are good. They are made from high-quality materials, are easy to install and remove, and offer a variety of features ideal for carrying bikes, kayaks, and other gear. Yakima has a long-term reputation as one of the best bike rack manufacturers worldwide.
How much weight can Yakima Holdup 2 hold?
Why are bike racks prohibited on RVs?
Bike racks are prohibited on RVs because the rear of an RV is typically extended well beyond the rear axle, which results in a lot of extra movement on the hitch and bike rack. RV-approved hitch-mounted bike racks are built to withstand this kind of movement. Using a bike rack that is not rated for RV use could void the warranty and cause damage to your bike or vehicle.
Is it worth getting a hitch for a bike rack?
It depends on your personal preferences, needs, and budget. A hitch for a bike rack can offer some advantages, such as low loading height, good ergonomics, high weight capacity, and security. However, a hitch for a bike rack can also have some drawbacks, such as higher cost, heavier weight, and reduced ground clearance. You should consider the frequency of use, vehicle compatibility, number of bikes needing transport, and type of bike rack before deciding if it is worth getting a hitch for a bike rack.